Protecting your credit card activities
Credit cards have become a preferred way of purchasing for many. They are convenient, accepted by most stores, eliminate the need to carry cash, often easier to use than a check and they can temporarily delay when you have to pay for your purchases. Along with these benefits, comes the risk that a thief will steal your card or your card information. If that happens, the thief can then charge purchases to your account. Here are some guidelines to protect your credit card activities:
Physically protecting your credit cards
Protecting your credit card information
- Only have as many cards as you need and carry as few as possible.
- Keep seldom-used cards in a safe place.
- Keep a list of your credit card numbers and issuing companies’ phone numbers in a secure place.
- If you are expecting a new or re-issued credit card and do not receive it, contact the issuing company immediately.
- Activate and sign any new cards immediately when you receive them.
- If possible, get a credit card with your picture on it.
Preventing unauthorized use of your credit card
- Never write your PIN number on your card.
- Never give credit card information over the phone unless you initiated the call.
- If your credit card statement does not arrive as expected, contact the issuing company to make sure that someone else did not change your address and start receiving your statements.
- If paying your credit card bill by check, do not write the full credit card account number on the Memo line, just the last four digits.
In case of problems
- Never lend your card to someone else. They could use it improperly or it could be stolen.
- Always total the receipt and draw lines through unused spaces on the receipt.
- Never sign a blank charge slip.
- When using your card, be sure to get it back and take the receipt.
- Keep all your credit card receipts and compare them to your account statement.
- If your credit card is lost, contact the issuing company immediately.
- If you believe your card was stolen, contact the police and issuing company immediately.
- If your wallet or purse is stolen, contact all your credit card issuers to report the theft.
- Most card companies have a toll-free number for reporting stolen or missing cards. Some companies provide 24-hour service. By law, once you report the loss or theft, you have no further liability for unauthorized charges. In any event, your maximum liability under federal law is $50.
Credit cards bring great convenience to our lives. Using these precautions can help ensure that you can continue utilizing them while keeping your information safe. Take a look at the Security & Fraud section of our website for more tips.
Sign up for eNews
You’ll receive updates from Starion Financial’s email marketing company. We value and protect your privacy, so you’ll only receive communication from Starion.
Articles in this Issue
Returning to our roots
Starion Financial understands the importance of going green and is committed to doing our part. At several of our locations, we’ve been changing from regular lawns to landscapes that include native prairie grasses and flowers adapted to our climate and soil.
Thu. Jun 25 3:06 PM
What to consider when building
When you are having a home built for you, your loan should be designed for the special needs you’ll encounter with new home construction. Factors such as the builder, location and building specs all play a part in the conditions of the loan. They are also unique because there isn’t an actual building to use as collateral for the loan. The loan amount is primarily based on the blueprints of the home.
Thu. Jun 25 3:06 PM
New Trivia Question
Q: What is the largest lake in the United States?
Thu. Jun 25 3:06 PM
Being a good neighbor
Starion Financial has been involved in Rebuilding Together Greater Bismarck/Mandan since it was chartered in 1997. The non-profit, community-based organization is dedicated to helping low-income homeowners in the area live in warmth, safety and independence.
Tue. May 26 3:05 PM
Joining the fight
Starion Financial is a proud supporter of the American Cancer Society with Madison participating in Coaches vs Cancer, Rolla participating in Relay for Life, and Mandan participating in Suits and Sneakers.
Tue. May 26 2:05 PM
More eNews >>